Lefkofsky Family Foundation is a charitable trust founded by Eric and his wife Liz in the year 2006. Through the foundation, they have been able to carry out many charitable activities towards the betterment of the community. The foundation had a mission to come up with different programs, research as well as initiatives that would improve the quality of life of people. Most of these activities are usually carried out in Chicago where Eric Lefkofsky is based. Below are the several keys areas that the Foundation focuses on:
- Health: The philanthropic couple has been able to support health in many ways especially towards cancer treatment. Liz and Eric have given several donations towards medical centers that provide care for children, treatment for pancreatic cancer, research, and treatment of different types of cancer such as lung, thyroid, and leukemia. Other donations were channeled towards an organization that treats diseases such as Crohn’s disease, cardiovascular disease, celiac disease, food allergies, brain tumors, Lupus, Alzheimer’s and cystic fibrosis. Every year the couple seem to contribute substantial amounts of their wealth towards improving the quality of health in the community mostly by donating towards researchers on different diseases.
- Education: Liz and Eric focus mostly on children’s education, supporting charter schools, creating programs for disadvantaged youths after they finish school as well as scholarship programs. Their plans succeed because they first ensure that the teachers and administrators are fully equipped with the necessary tools by giving support to the organizations that develop these professionals. Through Moneythink, one of Lefkofskys’ support program, many get educated about finance in urban schools. Eric has also made substantial donations towards education, for instance, at the University of Michigan where he is an alumni and other universities in Chicago as well.
- Arts and Culture: In Chicago, Lefkofskys’ have contributed towards arts and culture by supporting organizations such as Steppenwolf Theatre Company with an amount of $7 million. Others include Chicago’s Museum of Contemporary Art with $2.5 million and the Art Institute of Chicago with about $1.5 million. They have also made several other donations towards the same area though with lesser amounts.
- Human Rights: They seem not to have done much towards human rights area, but they contributed towards two main organizations dealing with human rights. Anti-Defamation League is one of them and received a donation of an amount less than $100,000 while Human Rights Watch received $100,000 to support their operations. Others include Planned Parenthood of Illinois, Illinois Holocaust Museum, and Education Center though they received smaller shares of donations.
- Technology: Through a partnership with the Motorola Mobility Foundation and Google, the Lefkofskys’ were able to create the 1871 FEMtech aimed at encouraging more female entrepreneurs in the field.
Lefkofsky Family Foundation has motivated members of staff, excellent website, and billionaire founders, and it is positioned to be able to extend their charitable activities outside Chicago.